[IAEP] Wiki Gardening Weekend (May 14-15, Boston, USA)

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Apr 12 12:36:43 EDT 2016

Hi!

On 12 April 2016 at 09:17, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
wrote:

> One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that, although we could do
> better, the wiki and the mailing list are among the *things that work*.

Right, that's why I am focusing on reforming them :)

Kindly, the wiki and the mailing lists are stale. They were set up many
years ago, and I think that if SL was being set up today it would be set up
differently.

I'm curious, what things do you think do not work?

> Frederick Grose has been on top of the Mediawiki from the web-admin
> point of view and is quite knowledgeable of it.
> I'm afraid a longer different-to-wikipedia process might be a chore to
> set up with little return of investment.

I don't suggest turning the wiki read-only until it is clear that it is no
longer being contributed to.

Like bugs.sl.o to github, https://github.com/sugarlabs/www-sugarlabs and
https://developer.sugarlabs.org already started the move from wiki to
markdown-on-github, and I'm advocating for completing it.

> El 12/04/16 a las 07:58, Dave Crossland escribió:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Who will set this up on the SL servers, and when? :)
>
> As with all volunteer projects, those who do the work decide how (and
> when) it's done. I don't think this is low hanging, or even fruit.

If no one wants to do it, I think Github Pages + Jeykll wins, because the
only systems administration effort is required is setting the DNS records.

Who controls the DNS records?

Did you consider http://pandoc.org ? :)

--
Cheers