[IAEP] Wiki Gardening Weekend (May 14-15, Boston, USA)

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Apr 12 08:58:21 EDT 2016

Hi

On 11 April 2016 at 23:30, Sam P. <sam at sam.today> wrote:

> Hosting a static site is a non-issue.  We can easily do it on SL servers.
> We can even configure it to automatically rebuild on git update.
>
> I would not use github pages.  It does not yet support TLS, which is very
> important in this day and age.
>
> Don't let Jekyll limit you either.  I have not compared it to other
> solutions, especially not when making a wiki.  We can run anything on our
> servers.

Wow, okay cool! If we have among us the labor power to set up git hooks so
that changes made on a ssg source repo on github are reliably rebuilt
quickly, that would be ideal, I think.

However, if it would be a burden or unmaintained, then using a 3rd party
host that costs $0 and has those core features and is maintained would be
better, I think.

I'm not really qualified to make the call on which ssg is best for us. I
took a quick look and of the 2, I think I prefer tesla to lektor.

As long as the one chosen accepts markdown and something simply like liquid
or jinja2 for templates, I'm happy :)

Re: TLS, since it is a common problem, someone already fixed it,
https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/156#issuecomment-193166403

> Could this project also merge the developer site back into the
> static-wiki?  Right now it feels very oddly separated.

+1

Who will set this up on the SL servers, and when? :)

--
Cheers
Dave