[IAEP] Another article on evaluation and learning to code

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Mon Mar 16 09:16:03 EDT 2015

Hi iaep,
Was reading an interesting article today:
https://ed.stanford.edu/news/stanford-study-shows-success-different-learning-styles-computer-science-class

With all the reflection data in our Journals, perhaps these machine
learning algorithms can tall us something about ourselves?

I found it very interesting how there are clearly many paths to
acquiring mastery in programming.

It makes sense that the computer be assessing and feeding back to the
learner.

Rather interesting I found as well were the sink-holes (so called
"walls" of learning, where student's bump and find it hard to continue
without undoing some steps). I definitively know the feeling.///"They
open the door for developing systems to encourage students to go down
more fruitful paths before they become lost in the programming weeds."/

If I may comment one more thing.

Perhaps one area often left out in this kind of discussion, is the
importance of social values, pointed out by the Free Software movement
of which we are a part, and many volunteers such as Flavio. What is the
/purpose/ of learning to program? What is the /responsibility/ of one
who knows these techniques?

I venture that having a bunch more of proprietary startups with crappy
apps and (especially) abusive business models, is *definitively*, not
the way to go forward as humanity.