[IAEP] Will anything change this time?

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Tue Mar 10 12:43:05 EDT 2015

Personally I would be more interested in why groups/organizations don't use
Sugar than what existing deployments are looking for to continue using it.

In order for Sugar to become more than a niche product it is going to have
to accommodate a wider population.

The XO/Sugar/Schoolserver combination was originally promoted as a complete
solution which could be used independently without anything else.

But in practice, there is a need to integrate with other solutions.  Sugar
may be a great educational environment but there is a need to tie it into
existing schools and curriculums.  OLPC had educators on staff looking into
this problem, but I don't think we have that luxury.

As an example, the same kludge hacks kept being made over and over to
integrate Sugar & XOs into environments where the schoolserver might not
control the network, proxy authentication/802.1x networks were used, etc.
For some reason this functionality never made it upstream.