[IAEP] Future Direction

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 07:13:46 EST 2015

Hi

I agree with your first paragraph (although I don't know of really discoverable programming systems -- even Scratch has lots of conventions that are hard to discover). But I do agree that 5-10% of an population is better matched up to a given topic, and that the rest need more help of different kinds.
But there are good materials for learning Etoys, especially in Spanish, and especially for teachers.

The last part I don't agree with because it contains a misconception about how to teach Etoys, and especially programming, to children and adults.

We found -- via many attempts -- that 1 on 1 -- then branching out -- works much much better than trying to teach a group. The "Drive a Car" project was invented to be the introduction, and it can be taught 1 on 1 in about 20 minutes. Now we have two teachers of "Drive a Car". Then 4 etc. It is worth taking the 100 minutes to carry this out. The reason for this approach is found in your first paragraph, and the key is the 1 on 1 which allows the time needed for specific learnings and questions about the project.
Once a class has gotten going, then should eventually be the "first teachers" for the next class, and now the whole new class can be handled in ~30 minutes for the first exercise. This use of "peer teaching" works in other areas also, but it is particularly effective in technique learning. It is not used nearly enough (many pro teachers feel a loss of authority, and that is more important to them that in how well the children are learning).
Cheers
Alan