[IAEP] OLPC and SugarLabs at SCaLE 13X Feb 20-22

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 13:06:37 EST 2015

Hi All,
We will have a booth again this year at SCaLE, This time it will have a dual focus. We will be hosting the "Coders' Corner" and, at the same time, featuring information about everything OLPC and Sugar Labs… including Unleashed Kids, L to L, the school server project, OLPC France's Sugarizer project, and anything and everything else that I haven't listed… all projects large and small!
Some of the things I need from you folks are:
Pictures! Videos! (of projects including exotic places, hackathons, etc, etc, etc.) Lists of volunteer opportunities! anything else you would like to share with the open source community. We will feature a constantly running, silent (with captions or subtitles) video production showing projects all over the world. Your media resources will be put into a video on dvd that can play where passers-by can stop and watch a bit, ask questions, pick up contact info, and the like. Who will answer those questions? Hopefully some of you! Read on…
The exhibit hall will be open three days this time, Fri, Sat, and Sun. we will need a team of volunteers to help out. As in previous years, we can offer you a code for a full, all inclusive registration for SCaLE, a $60 value. The duties of folks in the booth this year will be to help people try their hands at doing a little coding… mostly Scratch, but some other things taken from the Google Hour of Code for 2014 and 2013. We expect the participants to range all the way from family of coders to hardware geeks who have always wanted to try a little coding to see what it is like.
We will be using XOs for some of this, but are looking for loans of other kinds of laptops so we can use some of the Hour of Code resources. If you have an older laptop (or larger) you wouldn't mind sharing, please let us know. Security in the exhibit halls is excellent.
We missed having a FTF meeting in SF this past October so this event could provide an excellent opportunity to touch bases with one another and share, in person, what is happening in your projects and lives. If the Hilton LAX (the conference hotel) is too pricey for you, there is a Travelodge just 2 blocks down the street for about 1/2 the price.
I hope all of you can participate in this in some way… through media resources shared for our promo, sharing information about what your project(s) are doing, or best of all… sharing yourself as an in-person volunteer in the booth.
Hope to see many of you there! Please let me know ASAP how you can contribute to this.
Thanks,Caryl BigenhoOLPC/SugarLabs Volunteer
P.S. Please pass the word to others who might not be on the lists or might miss this email!