[IAEP] Help With An Appliance In Virtual Box Needed!

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 3 15:10:31 EST 2015

Hi Folks,

I'm taking a really fun Computer Science class from Harvard via EdX. I started it last year and used their appliance in VMware with no problems. This year they have a new appliance which  will require me to to either upgrade my Mac OS (I'd rather not) or run it in VirtualBox. So…

Today I installed the latest VirtualBox for my Mac and the new appliance. The CS50 appliance is now running in the VB window and it is quite small compared to last year in VMware. VB lets me enlarge the blank frame around the window, but not the active terminal or gedit window. The brightness is not good.

Updating seems to be taking forever… actually, it has stalled. And, there is a mystery message, "2014 - 24 missing network adaptor <-" in the lower right corner.

It turns out that there are several other people, literally all over the world, who are having the same problem. We are looking for an answer and I figured someone I know from the open-source world might have an idea what is happening and how to fix it.

I'll attach a screenshot and hope someone knows what is going on and can point us in the right direction..

Thanks!

Caryl Bigenho