[IAEP] [support-gang] Update to ProjectBernie

Richa Sehgal richasehgal2908 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 03:41:17 EDT 2015

Hi,

I was very busy with labs and assignments over the past few days, and would
like to apologize for not replying sooner.

Great efforts! I tried different things and would like to discuss some of
these:

I tried opening the 4 sections of "Python Programming". So, for "Inventing
your own games with Python" and "Making Games with Python and Pygames", the
link opens and shows the index. But the internal links of this index are
all showing "Internal Server Error".

The section "Hacking Secret Ciphers with Python", is opening and the links
within are also working. All the text is displayed but the images are not
showing up.

In the "command line" section, all the links are showing: "Internal Server
Error".
The "Web technology" section looks good! But as has been stated, there are
three options on the top of the page, "Prev", "Index" and "next". And the
"Index" link takes us back to the original starting page "
http://www.projectbernie.org/". While it should take us back to the
chapters page.

Some of the chapters have attachments. But when I tried to open them, it
showed "You don't have permission to access on this server".

"Eloquent Javascript" is opening pretty nicely. But the "Exercise Hints"
page says that "The hints below might help when you are stuck with one of
the exercises in this book." But there is nothing written below that.

Thanks
Richa

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> [...]
> downloaded to the XO laptops so that they can be viewed independent of the
> school server, e.g.when a user takes the laptop home beyond the range of
> the local area network.
>
> Tony
>

> On 04/14/2015 10:31 PM, DancesWithCars wrote:
>
> It would seem "representative of" is different from streaming 700 gig to
> whomever, so maybe it is a menu frontend to see what is on the menu, then
> you order the 1T drive, it arrives, then you have the videos...
>  On Apr 14, 2015 9:13 AM, "Vibhor Sehgal" <sehgalvibhor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I visited Introduction to Web Technology  under the Web Technology
>> track. (http://www.projectbernie.org/explore/web.html)
>>
>> I chose the first chapter Getting Started,  competed all the sections. I
>> was navigating to next section through a  next option on top of the page.
>> It has a  prev/index/next option.  On the last section of first chapter,
>> when i wanted to go to the next chapter Markup basics , the next option was
>> not working.  I clicked on the index option, thinking it will take me back
>> to the list of chapters page(
>> http://www.projectbernie.org/explore/web.html), however it took me to
>> the home page ( http://www.projectbernie.org/).
>> So i again had to go to the list of chapters page to select the new
>> Markup basics chapter.
>>
>> Maybe,  this could be improved and a hyperlink direct to the list of
>> chapters (http://www.projectbernie.org/explore/web.html) can be provided
>> on the last section of the chapter or every page in the chapter, so that
>> students can select and change the chapter easily.
>>
>> Secondly, Eloquent javascript chapters are giving Internal server
>> errors.  I tried first few,  they were all giving errors.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Vibhor
>> On Apr 14, 2015 2:11 PM, "Tony Anderson" <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  The Project Bernie website has been updated (www.projectbernie.org).
>>>
>>> This site provides a representative view of what a school server loaded
>>> from BERNIE provides
>>> to an XO at a deployment.
>>>
>>> The update releases the first edition of the 'hands-on computing'
>>> courses in the Explore section of the Class page.
>>> There is an introductory course that introduces the Bash shell in the
>>> Terminal Activity, shows how to navigate the file system, and use the nano
>>> text editor. It is expected that learners would work their way through this
>>> one before beginning one of the tracks.
>>>
>>> There are three tracks each introducing a text programming language:
>>> Python, Shell Scripts, and Javascript (with HTML5 and CSS3).
>>>
>>> There are two proposed projects for GSOC15 which are intended to augment
>>> the Web Technology track: Web Confusion - the first course and Interactive
>>> Javascript Shell - the second course.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any feedback so that the offerings can be made more
>>> for his three books on Python for kids, William Shotts (