[IAEP] [support-gang] What Would I Need To Learn???

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Oct 16 08:36:38 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Again...
>
> How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

.. and with a big stomach ache :)

> John Kim, who lives here in the LA area, outlined ways to do this about a
> year ago. One of his many suggested options was to have people work on tiny
> sections that would make up the whole. It seems like a great idea.We
> might start right here in Los Angeles with some of the members of one of
> the local Linux Users Groups. There is also a small LUG in Montana that
> might enjoy participating.  We also have several very talented young
> coders here in SoCal that participate in SCaLE every year who might be
> interested in doing tiny parts.
>
> But, someone would have to do the work of defining what the tiny sections
> would be and how they would fit together as they were completed... to
> organize it.   If you break things up into small enough pieces the work
> will be easier for everyone working on it and it should be easier to get
> more people to participate if the commitment is relatively small.
>
> Here's a link to John's document about it: http://bit.ly/16eOrps

I have read that. Of course, is easier talk than do it. A lot of people say
what to do,
but sadly, not to much is available to do the real work. (Right now, there
are one
developer full time and one half time).
SugarLabs approach is create a javascript library to enable porting
activities one by one,
and create something like the sugar home/views/journal in android.
The first part is almost done (but need work), the second part didn't
started.

> I'm looking forward to seeing Martin at the Summit. He is scheduled to do
> a session with the Butia at the same time others are doing one on porting
> Sugar to the XO Tablet... which for obvious reasons I have to take my
> granddaughter's XO Tablet to and try to get it working with Sugar. So, I
> guess I will miss it. But we can talk at other times at the Summit. Too bad
> you can't come too...
>
> Caryl
>
> P.S. Back to the initial question. What would I need to learn to help with
> a project such as this? I have some experience with Python in the context
> of a Physics class and am signed up for an online MOOC from MIT that will
> feature Python. But... would that be of any use? Would I be better doing
> some more Code Academy lessons to review HTML and learn HTML5? Would Code
> Academy's Java class be of any use? I would like a "fast track" that would
> let me get involved right away if we can make this happen.

All you can learn about HTML, css & javascript will help you. Java no
(Javascript is not Java)

See you

Gonzalo