[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2013-11-01

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 08:19:41 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
>> My goal is not to replace Sugar (or Sugar activities) with Turtle
>> Blocks, but to use Turtle Blocks to make Sugar and Sugar activities
>> more transparent. I posit that once you have written a simple paint
>> program in Turtle Blocks, suddenly the underlying mechanics of the
>> Paint activity are more readily accessible. I don't see Turtle Blocks
>> as the authoring tool for activities as much as the tool for
>> understanding the basic mechanisms that underlay them.
>
> Said in this way, have more sense :)
>
> I have heard you many times talking about write all the activities and
> sugar itself
> in TurtleArt, and I never understood if was a joke or a serious proposal
> (and of course, I have many motives to think this can't be a serious
> proposal ...)
>
> May be is only a communication issue, but is good send a clear message.
>
> Gonzalo

Let me use a real-world example. I have seen many children use sensors
in Scratch and have little if any idea what they were really doing. A
few minutes with the Measure activity gave them some insight. Followed
up with "writing" Measure in Turtle Blocks, and they had real clarity.
When they returned to Scratch, they knew what they were doing.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs