[IAEP] How can I get Camera to work on XO? Also how to access USB

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Mar 14 10:23:25 EDT 2013

On 2013-03-13, at 19:08, Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com> wrote:

> Bert,
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
> On 2013-03-13, at 16:50, Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com> wrote:
>
> > Tried with Etoys 5.0 build 2406. But camera does not work. Saw this in trakcer, but no wifi access, although I can put files on a USB.
>
> Possibly the Camera plugin is missing? See /usr/lib/squeak/...
>
> I have the mcz packages from WebCamMorph, on the USB drive.  How do I load them into Etoys on XO?

I wasn't talking about mcz packages. The Etoys 5 image does already have the WebCamMorph (otherwise the camera wouldn't work on your Mac either).

I was talking about the new CameraPlugin it needs. If that is not yet installed, you may steal it from the Scratch activity.

Alternatively, you can use the old VideoCamera morph, which works only on Linux, not cross-platform. Find it in the object catalog's alphabetical list. This is what we used on the XO before Etoys 5. It uses the VideoForLinuxPlugin, which is pre-installed for sure.

- Bert -