[IAEP] [support-gang] XO-4 Questions After Viewing CES video

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Jan 12 02:04:10 EST 2013

Mike,

Thanks for the video links.

So two basic comments:
1) The Parental Controls (from what I can determine from the videos) seem
more like "Parental FYI" rather than controls.  I would like to see some
"controls" to help parents keep kids from "distracting themselves to
death".  I suspect that one of the reasons the "helicopter drop" experiment
worked so well, was the kids had nothing much to distract them from using
this really cool new toy,  No internet, YouTube, lowest common denominator
games etc.  The App Store with a set of curated Apps is a good start
(assuming the device can only download apps from the curated store and the
curation is good).  It would also be good if there were time limits on
internet surfing.  I'm thinking time limits as it seems too hard to decide
what to allow/not and to keep up with changes.  That said I have yet to see
a really good implementation of Parental Controls and the bigger challenge
is implementing them across multiple devices (XO tablet, Xbox, Wii,
handhelds, Smartphones, etc).  Would be nice if there were a way to do this
via the cloud and there was a common protocol all vendors implemented.

2) The goals of reflection and sharing are good, I never was quite sure how
well the Sugar Journal helped meet those goals though.  Reflection I think
needs more of a cultural rather than technical solution. One thing which I
try (and often fail) to practice with my kids is to have them write down
what they plan to do/learn today, reflect on what they actually did/learned
and what went well/what didn't.  The main problem seems to be getting them
to write, talking and asking questions works much better.  As for sharing.
the Scratch website seems to have done that best so far and having a
website to share projects and allow kids to comment/remix would be great.

Cheers,
Stephen