[IAEP] [support-gang] XO-4 Questions After Viewing CES video

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 19:25:19 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Caryl Bigenho <caryl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Bert is probably correct and has been to SCaLE so he knows what he is
> talking about. The folks there are really rabid open source advocates, so
> much so that you can't even do a presentation in Powerpoint or Keynote. It
> has to be in Open Office or a pdf file.

Not an Etoys or Turtle Art project??? (/me hasn't used Open Office for
a presentation since befoe LCA in 2009

> However, according to the Android web site, it is an open source platform
> http://source.android.com/index.html and, as such should be of interest to
> folks at SCaLE. And, no matter what, I expect there will be questions about
> the new XO-3 tablets. So...

FWIW, this is not the XO-3. That project is abandoned. This is the XO
Learning Tablet :)

> What I will probably need to know are things like:
> * How will the profits from the use of the OLPC and XO names be used?

> * Are there any plans to port Sugar Apps to Android?
There are some in the works.

> * Will the new tablets also work on hand cranks and solar panels?
Not the ones shown at CES.

> [...]
> "develop." This is a perfect place to recruit more hands and minds to an
> effort to do just that. It would be great if some of the folks on SLOBS
> would chime in if they think this (maybe call it SOAS for Android) is a
> viable idea that should be pursued.
>
> Having an XO-3 tablet in our booth would probably be a very bad idea. In
> fact, other than answering questions and recruiting volunteer developers, we
> probably shouldn't mention the tablet at all. Our booth will be provided
> free of any charge to us for the 5th straight year. They have always given
> us a great spot and provided free registrations for all of the volunteers
> who come to run the booth. We should want to keep it that way. We don't sell
> anything! We only inform and recruit.
>
> However, having a working touch screen XO-4 there would really be a plus! We
> always set up a "hands on" area that has been very popular, with adults as
> much as children. Bert has offered his office-mate's early model if we can't
> come up with another.  But, having the (as Adam always says) "the latest and
> greatest" model would be so much better.
>
> I can bring the solar panel I bought at the SF Summit. so if it is sunny we
> could even take it outside to demonstrate. I also can bring an hand crank
> for folks to try. So, if any of you have one that you can lend for SCaLE Feb
> 22-24 or, better still, bring to SCaLE it would be perfect! We will put you
> on the volunteer list and your registration will be covered. It is a fun
> event.
>
> If you have answers to the three listed above... send them on. If you have
> other questions you think folks will be asking, send those too... whether
> you have an answer or not. Someone else may have the answer!
>
> Thanks!
> Caryl
>

>> From: bert at freudenbergs.de
>> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:53:11 -0800
>> To: support-gang at lists.laptop.org
>
>> Subject: Re: [support-gang] XO-4 Questions After Viewing CES video
>>
>> On 10.01.2013, at 23:26, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I know I will be flooded with questions at SCaLE 11X in just 6 weeks. I
>> > would rush right out to Wally-mart tomorrow and get one if I could so I
>> > would be prepared!
>>
>> Well, Android isn't even mentioned on the SCaLE page:
>> https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/cfp It is a Linux Expo, after all, but "XO
>> Learning" appears to not be Open Source licensed, and they have not reached
>> out to our community yet.
>>
>> The only official information from OLPC so far seems to be the two press
>> releases (http://blog.laptop.org/). In there it states "XO Learning will be
>> offered through licensing agreements to tablet manufacturers, governments,
>> book publishers, and international distributors".
>>
>> I wish them luck with that (it certainly sounds better than just giving
>> kids a generic Android tablet), I'm just saying that SCaLE might not be the

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org