[IAEP] [Butia-list] XO robotics

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu Sep 27 16:24:56 EDT 2012

Hi,

I would love to see you at the SF meeting to explain Butia to that audience.

It was my understanding in Montevideo, that the robot is controlled
directly from Turtle Art. For me, the really great thing you have done
is to strap the laptop on the robot platform. This is not for cute
pictures, it is really exciting for the student to see the robot obeying
his or her instructions (right or wrong). The fact that the laptop is
riding on the robot vehicle means that its movement is not limited by an
umbilical cord.

As Yama states, we really need (for me, in English) a parts list and set
of instructions for building the robot so that it can be done by any
deployment. I had hoped that such a session would be conducted in SF as
I would dearly love to be able to set up a robot at the Saint Jacob
school in Kigali in December. Naturally, we will also need some lesson
plans for use of the robot to further the mandated curriculum in Science
(and mathematics).

My example would be to have the student program the robot to approach a
wall as closely as possible without touching it. This would involve some
understanding of the ratio of the wheel diameter to its circumference,
the number of degrees the wheel advances for each forward step, and
whole lot of other interesting concepts. For example, such a contest
could lead to the issue of feedback; how to use a sensor so the robot
knows when it is close. Should this be visual (camera) or acoustic or
the bending of a wire or ....

Tony