[IAEP] [Butia-list] XO robotics

Yama Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 14:29:24 EDT 2012

WOW! Thank you, Jorge

1) I looooove the connectors for the USBButiá.
8-wire ethernet. Once a standard exists :-), makes compatibility in
development by the many a viable option, i.e, I or anyone can develop a
motor or sensor, and it will work with the Butiá. VERY powerful!
exchangebale parts, the birth of the Industrial Age. Exchangeable
circuits, possibly a jumping point (salto cualitativo, decía un otro
Jorge) for mechatronics in education, and then in national development!

http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/Usb4butia
closeup:
http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/Archivo:Usb4butia2.jpg
1.b) I do not like digital servos, adds enormously to the cost IMHO,
*have* to be purchased, but then, they /do /have advantages. Askjerry
gets feedback from a LED/sensor pair. So far I have only used dead reckoning

2) hmmm.  I guess that Butiá can run either with an Arduino *or* with a
USBButiá, the latter connected direct to an XO?
So the USBButiá has an MCU with some pretty good code! aha, a PIC
18F4550. I assume that you falsh them... Could you please point us to
more details? Source code seems to be here
<http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/Git_Butia>,
I guess I'll have to take a look. How expensive is it to get the stuff
(PIC programmer)to flash?
Does Eneka sell ready-made PCBs?  PCB fab is something that the folks at
Kidbot could help, I will check, some of our people seem to have good
connections for that sort of stuff (maybe $1.50 for each at this
complexity, in smallish quantities).

I must admit this is more advanced than where I am right now in my own
skills and hacks.
I merely can flsh 430s with an XO, and would totally love to be able to
have real i/o XO<->MCU. Hope we can follow up and I can learn. (of
course I can flash arduino with a Linux PC, but I feel that is cheating
- anything that needs more than an XO is, an ideology issue for me :-) )
Jorge, could you point me to suitable resources I could learn from? Thanks!

Yama