[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2012-09-18

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 20:11:21 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark at verizon.net> wrote:

> They are both 'python' but most programmers are not going to be able to debug the 2nd example easily.
> ------------------------------
> Making all the comments and the variable names in Spanish is not what I expect for sugarlabs but maybe for the 'python joven' or similar.

In my experience, programmers are typically able adept at thinking of
variables in the abstract, thus the preponderance of "foo" and 'bar"
when conversationally describing programming with variables.

Comments in code are a little more challenging, but as long as a
Google Translate window is handy, I would think that most basic
algorithmic structures (loops, etc.) would be readily deciphered.

Quozl's notion of a deeper abstraction layer so that variable names
could be internationalized is interesting, but I'm pretty busy going
only as deep as the UI strings as it is, so I'll pass on that for now.
:-)

cjl