[IAEP] what will you learn/do at Stanford?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 06:31:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM, David Brown <djhbrown at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_activity_ideas
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_ideas
>> Is there more resources we should keep an eye on?
>
> educational activity ideas need not be platform-dependent; i can't see any
> substantive difference between activities available via Sugar and those
> available via Edubuntu.

Most of the difference lies in the fact that the activities run in
Sugar, thus they have the Journal, collaboration, and view source. And
a somewhat more consistent UI.

> but, in each case, how is a child to know where to look?  how can they know
> what something is about before they start it up?  how can they see the range
> of things available without having to examine each one by itself?

We continue to disagree about the importance/relevance of these
questions to a child.

> cute names of 500 different apps don't help.  the search problem is as real for a
> child as it is for an adult.  that's why it was found that Sugar users click
> on hundreds of activity buttons every week - but they don't engage in
> hundreds of activities...  they are just poking around in the dark.

I believe the data you are citing was for an Android device (Ethiopia
study) and while I agree that there is a big difference between using
the computer (learning to click on things, which every child seems to
master and enjoy) and using the the computer for learning, I wouldn't
characterize it as a search problem.

> sure, a human teacher could tell/guide them... so could this, if anyone
> cares to implement it:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Design_Team/Proposals
>

> david brown, PhD (a long time ago in a far-away place)
>  http://sites.google.com/site/djhbrown2/home

regards.

-walter

--