[IAEP] Introduction: teacher interested in SOAS

Pato Acevedo patitoacevedo at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 11:24:11 EST 2012

Hi:

>1. What size of USB will you use?  Last time I looked, Sugar Labs recommended 1 GB.  We use 4GB.  Our Computer Science student wishes we had gone with 8GBs. We do get frozen computers >when students open too many activities.  If they save video  items from
 Record, you will want more persistent space, and getting young kids to record poetry or songs will be a big hit!

We took videos of our traditional rhymes.http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2c6un_SugarLabsChile_soas-sugar/1#video=xeflf1
Initially we used record activity but found better results recorded directly from dailymotion through browser activity  (flash player&conectivity required). Both are registered in our planning published in WikiEducator.http://wikieducator.org/Editing_User:Werner/My_sandbox/Integracion_Curricular_Sugar/Planificaciones_NB2_Expresi%C3%B3n_Oral

>2. Will your computers boot from USB?  At one school, kids hit F12 on start-up, that gives them a boot menu, and they choose the USB stick. At the other location, the IT staff changed the boot >order on all the computers so the computers now look for the
 USB stick first, then the hard drive.  The later would probably be better with young kids.
+1.

>That said, your lab may or may not allow you to access your boot order. We have run into a lot of home computers that do not allow students to access boot order.  Your IT people will obviously >have a lot to say about how the sticks will be accessed.

>3. Sticks will fail at a high rate.  As I mentioned in my first post, we have about a 20% failure rate on our sticks every sessions.  Yesterday, one student had to try 3 sticks before we got one that >would work.  This means we always take a lot of back-ups.
  We have been at this location for 7 weeks, one hour / week, and only one out of 10 students was still using the same stick we gave him >on day one.  Most are on their second, and a few 3 or more.  We were able to figure out that one computer was the problem,
 not the sticks, so be prepared to be methodical in tracking the sticks >and computers.

UUff, this is a big problem. Our initial hypotesis was to found that computers produced more damaged sticks. Moreover, we find some correlation between students anxious / usb failed / PC or netbook with higher failure rate.  The problem diminished some  when we teach these students the meaning of the flashing LED on the usb. If you had blinked, you had to wait. A critical moment for us was closing time. Allow sufficient time for safe removal. There is a compression and decompression process that must be completed to avoid damaging the USB Stick.
Cheers,

Pato AcevedoSugarLabs Chile