[IAEP] Gamification in Sugar Network

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:03:56 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM, STEPHEN JACOBS <itprofjacobs at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. As regards tech, I'd suggest Open Badges as a good way to go here.  Being implemented for the Fedora team by folks local to RIT, so we could probably help there.
> 2.  As regards Gamification, especially for education, there's a lot more there than just issuing points and badges.  It requires a deep dive into intrinsic/extrinsic motivation, goals for what Sugar Labs wants out of it, a look at the cultural impacts within the varied locals in which its being implemented yadda yadda yadda.  Bad ramification boomerangs back and leaves you worse off than you were before.

This (2) is why the learning team has been lukewarm about the idea.
Nonetheless, in the spirit of "making learning visible", in contrast
to explicitly rewarding or motivating learning, these data collections
can be of real value. My problem with several of the proposals I had
seen re convenient-for-the-developer means of gathering data,
typically from outside of Sugar itself, leave me feeling dissatisfied.
We want data that the learner can see.

-walter

> On May 30, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Walter Bender wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Sure thing, we spoke about this at length and I think there were even
>>> screenshots made regarding gamifying sugar. I know we spoke about it with
>>> quite some enthusiasm during the Paris Sugar Convention, and then after that
>>> on the mailing lists. I think we might even have written something online
>>> about it. I, for one, think it would be almost an essential next step in the
>>> Sugar UI. But it would require getting all activity creators on board, as it
>>> probably can´t be done just on a centralised level.
>>>
>>> kind regards

>> As I recall, the design team never settled its differences in terms of
>> how this would work, but we could readily build the back end for
>> accumulating badges/milestones/... in a standard way and those
>> activity developers who chose to use these mechanism can do so. In the
>> meantime, it was proposed to have a badges activity.
>>
>> (I will try to dig up the conversation threads and feature pages so we
>> don't have to repeat the same conversations.)
>>
>> regards.
>>
>> -walter
>>
>> --
>> Walter Bender