[IAEP] "New Co" / Nueva Empresa

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:07:09 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> concluded [3] that the Local Lab construct, which entails activities
> above and beyond "writing, improving and documenting FLOSS", fell
> outside of the scope of our parent organization, the Software Freedom
> Conservancy (SFC) [4].

Why would they be limited in what they do?

If there are strange rules that make being a Local Lab so limiting,
the members can be a LL only parttime ;-) or declare their
organization to be just a "Friend of SugarLabs.org" or something like
it.

At the end of the day, it's just a logo or a name people like to have.
The _top priority_ should be to get stuff done with your own means.
There are many real life barriers to overcome in the "get stuff done
with your own means" track... is anyone that is busy getting their
hands dirty getting stuff done worried about this logo stuff?

(The "your own means" is important here. Lobbying for using someone
else's good name to request help or money from a third party isn't in
my good books. The good name of SL is a precious asset based on work
from a global effort; if anyone wants to be a LL because it makes it
easier to get grants... I'd run in the opposite direction. Applying
for a grant is fair game, just do it in your own name, build your own
reputation. )

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions