[IAEP] Code of Conduct

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue May 1 12:26:25 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ana,
>
> You did a wonderful thing leading the effort to translate my book into
> Spanish.  That book has been downloaded 394 times from archive.org and is
> even available in printed form now.  After all that work if you want to rest
> on your laurels for awhile nobody will hold it against you.  I haven't
> exactly been active around here recently myself.  I spend more time with the
> Project Gutenberg community.  I am no expert on children's education, Python
> programming, or user interface design, but once in a while even I have an
> opinion on something that is not totally worthless.  If you don't feel
> qualified to vote for SLOBs (and I don't either) then don't vote.
>
> I'm pretty sure the only requirement to be part of this community is to care
> about children's education.
>
> James Simmons

Ana,

As a member of the Oversight Board, I would second James' thoughts.
I'm not sure you get to escape the Sugar community so easily, it is a
little like the Mafia, once you are in, it is hard to get out. :-)

I you choose to consider yourself on "reserve duty" status or an
"emeritus" member, that is certainly your choice.  I consider you to
have experience and perspectives that are qualifications for
membership without regard to recent activity levels.  There iis a
natural cycle in volunteer FLOSS projects like Sugar that some members
of the community will become less-active or even inactive with time.
The only real exception with regards to "activity level" status is
explicitly mentioned in the Code of Conduct.  If you have taken on
responsibility for a community resource or function, it is only proper
that you provide clear notice if you will not be performing that
function in the future so that the community can identify a successor.

You raise a point the Membership Committee should think about, which
as Walter says is a contribution in it's own right.  As for voting
status, I am not in favor of a one or two year "re-qualification"
criterion.  We need the voices of our experienced members and we need
to acknowledge that all of us have lives beyond Sugar that can keep us
from spending as much time on it as we might like.  Every member must
"vote their conscience" and if in your case that means choosing to
exercise your right as a community member to NOT vote, then that is
fine too, but I would not have you feel any less than a full member of
our community.

If it would help feel like you have "re-earned" that  right, you are
always welcome to contribute from time to time as a translator on
Pootle.  :-)

Warmest Regards,

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator