[IAEP] [fonc] Barbarians at the gate! (Project Nell)

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 14:29:08 EDT 2012

Hi Scott --

1. I will see if I can get one of these scanned for you. Moore tended to publish in journals and there is very little of his stuff available on line.

2.a. "if (a<b) { ... }" is easier to read than "if a<b then ..."? There is no hint of the former being tweaked for decades to make it easier to read.

Several experiments from the past cast doubt on the rest of the idea. At Disney we did a variety of "code display" generators to see what kinds of transformations we could do to the underlying Smalltalk (including syntactic) to make it something that could be subsetted as a "growable path from Etoys".

We got some good results from this (and this is what I'd do with Javascript in both directions -- Alex Warth's OMeta is in Javascript and is quite complete and could do this).

However, the showstopper was all the parentheses that had to be rendered in tiles. Mike Travers at MIT had done one of the first tile based editors for a version of Lisp that he used, and this was even worse.

More recently, Jens Moenig (who did SNAP) also did a direct renderer and editor for Squeak Smalltalk (this can be tried out) and it really seemed to be much too cluttered.

One argument for some of this, is "well, teach the kids a subset that doesn't use so many parens ...". This could be a solution.

However, in the end, I don't think Javascript semantics is particularly good for kids. For example, one of features of Etoys that turned out to be very powerful for children and other Etoy programmers is the easy/trivial parallel methods execution. And there are others in Etoys and yet others in Scractch that are non-standard in regular programming languages but are very powerful for children (and some of them are better than standard CS language ideas).

I'm encouraging you to do something better (that would be ideal). Or at least as workable. Giving kids less just because that's what an existing language for adults has is not a good tactic.

2.c. Ditto 2.a. above

2.d. Ditto above above

Cheers,

Alan