[IAEP] play dvds

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:54:20 EST 2012

Hi Ken,

On 5 Mar 2012, at 20:10, Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms at gmail.com> wrote:

> I leave for Indonesia on the 15 Mar to teach organic, no-till farming.  This is my 21st country to live in or visit. I average more than one trip per year.   I work with subsistence farmers.  Billions of people need the educational video dvds and the data dvds that I have and that thousands of others have.  Most cannot access the internet or can't afford the cost.  I mail thousands of DVDs each year to developing countries.
>
> I thought that if they could be played on the  OX, it would open up a new use for DVDs   I burn and print them and they cost me about 35¢ to do that.

Are there any licensing restrictions on the material? If not, it could be converted to an XO friendly format (say OOG'ish) and made available via the internet* (I'd suggest in chapters or short clips) so deployments could download, evaluate, and distribute if they thought it valuable for their local community. Is it available online already? Perhaps somewhere like Dailymotion would be good:

    http://www.dailymotion.com/sugarlabs

...as they support XO/Sugar friendly formats.

--Gary

* I know you're trying to target folks off grid, but making the material available online would allow others to easily evaluate and distribute it to their local community themselves.