[IAEP] [HARMONIC] Harmonic Distribution 0.3 development release
alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jun 20 09:54:11 EDT 2012
New development release of Harmonic Distribution which
consists of Sweets Distribution (packages with base software)
and Sugar Network (content delivering/sharing system).
This release still is not ready for testing deployment scenario
in the field (as was assumed) because deployment oriented infra
is not yet setup (See TODO section).
== General improvements ==
* Factory repository supports Fedora-11 (might be still in use in
the field). So, it is possible to install Sweets Distribution
packages using regular installation procedure on XOs shipped
with Fedora-11 and start using Sugar-0.94 (in parallel with original
one) with Sugar Network integration.
* Sugar Network client side code was tuned to speed up Sugar Shell
start on XO-1 laptops.
* There is a testing server launched on one of Sugar Labs servers. Its
content will be preserved between Harmonic Distribution releases and
consists of (thanks to Thomas C Gilliard who sorted out ASLO
activities) only pure python activities (that don't have external
to Glucose dependencies) to simplify Sugar Network testing process.
If "Connect to master server" option was chosen in Sweets
Distribution Control Panel section, Shell will connect to this server.
The API url of new server is, http://api-testing.network.sugarlabs.org/.
* The "Mejorar Sistema" component was renamed to webui and is intended
to be a Web interface to Sugar Network content. Right now, it behaves
as a local Web application but server side launch (at least launching
on school servers) will be supported later.
* Nevertheless, public Sugar Network WebUI server was launched on
http://network-testing.sugarlabs.org/ in demo mode. It points to the
same content as Sugar Shell (after selecting "Connect to
master server"). Since its is a demo server, all visitors behave
on behalf of "demo" user and can only populate feedback resources.
== Sugar Network WebUI improvements ==
* Create reviews for contexts
* Search widget now features autocomplete
* Redesigned Resources Type Bar
* 3 aditional resources for each context on Grid view were included
* Size / Parameters adjustments for text boxes
* "New resource" interaction has been redesigned
* Dates and authors for interactions have been included
* Support for 800x600 screen resolution
* Support en and es UI localization (these strings will appear on
translate.sugarlabs.org to continue translation process)
* Switch between server and local contexts (Sugar Network button in
== Sugar Network server improvements ==
* Server keeps information about poster's language. So, after supporting
on client side, it will be possible to have the same Sugar Network
entity translated into several languages.
* The contexts' "author" property contains nicknames of users instead
of GUIDs. Thus, it is possible to type a query (in client's search bar)
like "author:me" (the rest of possible prefixes can be found on
objects diagram for Context resource).
== Try the release ==
Follow regular Sweets Distribution instructions to setup Factory
repository and start using it on supported platforms:
Right after installation, Sugar Network integration will be disabled, to
In addition, there are XO images created within the Hexokinase
project. Follow the instructions to flash the images:
There is a tutorial that is being populated by Thomas C Gilliard:
For features and possible issues, consult Sweets Distribution Factory pages:
== TODO ==
0.4 release is intended to be ready for testing deployment scenario:
And is being planed for the end of June.
== Credits ==
* Peruvian community that supports this work. Especially by exposing the real need
in such kind projects and help with making deployment (of Harmonic Distribution
based project) possible.
* World wide community members who donated funds to make full time
* People from mailing lists and IRC channels who are helping in
More information about the IAEP