[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar as a Mac Ap?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 13 13:05:17 EDT 2012

On 2012-06-13, at 18:42, Walter Bender wrote:

> Etoys runs in a virtual machine. Once that VM is ported to a new
> environment, Etoys will run.
> Sugar on the other hand is a desktop and collection of applications
> that require Linux and the Gnome toolkit (among other dependencies).
> Once a Linux VM with Gnome is running in an environment, the process
> of porting Sugar is *relatively* painless.
>
> So the question is: is there a Linux/Gnome VM for the iPad? iPhone? iWhatever?
>
> -walter

Apple wouldn't allow a generic VM into their App Store. The only unrestricted environment on the iPad is the web browser.

I think Sugar's open and collaborative philosophy is fundamentally incompatible with Apple's current developer guidelines.

You could port single Sugar activities to the iPad, but since users would be prevented from changing them, Sugar's idea of learning by hacking would be lost.

- Bert -