[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar as a Mac Ap?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 12:42:18 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
>> wrote:

>> > Sugar can be installed on any PC, not just Classmates or XOs.

>> > I think Sugar-on-a-Stick (SoaS) can be plugged into recent Macs and
>> > works.
>>
>> You've always been able to plug SoaS into x86 Macs and have it work
>> (just like any Linux distro), the latest version adds much better
>> support for it and there's been specific interest in making it work
>> properly with uEFI and all the Mac quirks.
>>
>> It's quite easy to use SoaS on a usb key on Macs and with something
>> like VirtualBox you can run Sugar in a Window on Mac without too many
>> issues.
>>
>> Sugar as an App on Mac is an interesting concept and with improving
>> Mac support within GTK3 something like the Sugar in a Window concept
>> we use for testing is quite conceivable once the Sugar port to GTK3 is
>> complete, of course like everything it needs someone to step up and do
>> the work.
>>
>> Peter
>

> In the spirit of exploring interesting concepts that might stimulate new
> development, might someone explain the obstacles that prevent Sugar from
> running on an iPad, as well, discuss potential approaches to overcome those
> obstacles.
>
> For example, Etoys, an independent but significant component in Sugar, can
> be run on an iPad since June 2010,
> http://croquetweak.blogspot.com/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html
> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/ipad/
>
> Also with time, the current crop of iPads will become secondary devices as
> newer tablets are released.  Folks will then be more willing to
> void warranties and experiment with the operating systems.
>
>           --Fred

Etoys runs in a virtual machine. Once that VM is ported to a new
environment, Etoys will run.
Sugar on the other hand is a desktop and collection of applications
that require Linux and the Gnome toolkit (among other dependencies).
Once a Linux VM with Gnome is running in an environment, the process
of porting Sugar is *relatively* painless.

So the question is: is there a Linux/Gnome VM for the iPad? iPhone? iWhatever?

-walter

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org