[IAEP] SoaS Breakthrough!

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Thu Jan 12 14:21:13 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 03:21 +0100, Rubén Rodríguez wrote:

> The method I think would be a breakthrough for a school is to use a thin
> client environment. One server is enough to run a typical school, you
> only need to manage one standard GNU/Linux computer, the clients need
> no software or configuration, and they can keep whatever they already
> have in their hard drives untouched and usable. Also all the students
> data are in an easy to backup spot, installing an activity in the server
> makes it available for everyone instantly, and you can also combine it
> with class management software like iTALC.

This sounds useful.

(For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client )

So, if an enthusiastic volunteer had demonstrated Sugar on a Stick to a
school's "IT person" who has no previous sugar or linux experience -
what would need to be on their learning curve, to set up such a system?

Regards,
Iain, aka inkyfingers