[IAEP] SoaS Breakthrough!

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Wed Jan 11 01:18:22 EST 2012

On 01/10/2012 07:06 PM, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi Ruben and All,
>
> Tom has warned me that the persistent usbs really _/are/_ persistent
> and that eventually they fill up and fail!  Not good. That would not
> be a problem with a Live CD as nothing is written to it. Therefore,
> the extra usb for file storage... journal items, extra Activities and
> the like.
>
> Again, please remember we are talking about the average non-techie
> educator who wants to bring Sugar to their students on whatever old
> machines they may have. While most schools do have a person in charge
> of technology, in many cases it is a regular teacher who just knows a
> little bit more than other teachers and has the time to do it. They
> may get a tiny bit of training, a small stipend,  and a special
> "title" to go with the job, but that is about it.
>
> In the real world, the latest buzz is all about using smart phones,
> iPod touches, and all sorts of tablets with students.  Nothing wrong
> with that, I guess, but having the Sugar Activities available would be
> nice.... and gladly accepted... if we can make it easy to do.  Tell
> the teachers they need a "thin client" and they may start looking for
> a skinny student!
>
> Getting a whole school to buy into something like Sugar is a stretch.
>  It is a battle that has to be won, one teacher at a time.  Maybe when
> the others see it in action in some of the classrooms interest will
> reach a level where a school wide adoption would be feasible.
>
> So enough with the cliches (sorry I used so many), I need to find out
> how to make a Live CD to test this.  The instructions are either gone
> or buried in the wiki (I guess that is one reason why we are
> refreshing it).  So here is the information I need:
>
> 1) What is the most up-to-date build you folks would recommend?
 >http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast
      Download:
http://devel.trisquel.info/sugar/toast/iso/trisquel-sugar_5.0_i686-20111204.iso
*Install directly from the Live CD:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#Install_To_4_GB_USB-stick
   (This is a full install; not a live install with persistence)
*VirtualBox appliance Just import into VirtualBox for OSX on your MAC:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files/Trisquel#File:Trisquel_icon.png_Trisquel-5.0-sugar

 >SoaS_v6_Pineapple

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Fedora-SoaS#SoaS_v6_Pineapple
  *Use "liveinst" command in a sugar root terminal to install to a 4 GB
USB (formatted ext4 no swap)
     Download:
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/spins/linux/releases/16/Spins/i686/Fedora-16-i686-Live-SoaS.iso
>  Where can I find the instructions for making the Live CD?
* Wiki Instructions: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads

*Burning a Live CD from an .iso on a MAC      This works tg jan 10 2012
Click on the CD.iso ( trisquel-sugar_5.0_i686-20111204.iso) Downloaded
to the desktop
  Right click: Open with DiskImageMounter.app
  Open: Applications/Utilities/Diskutility.app
  Click on Mounted (trisquel-sugar_5.0_i686-20111204.iso) in Disk Utility
  Insert Unused CD in Mac Slot
  Click on "Burn" on top bar - (burns and verifies Live CD)
This Live CD boots on a PC and a MAC

*How to boot the trisquel-sugar_5.0_i686-20111204 live CD on your Mac
  Insert the CD
  Shutdown The Mac
  Press Power button and hold the OPTION key down until a windows CD is
displayed to the right of the MAC harddrive
  Use ==> arrow key to select the windows CD and hit enter.
  CD Boots
*Problems:
  Very Slow compared to a VirtualBox appliance
  No internet connection on CD - VirtualBox works fine
  CD ejects on shutdown of sugar cannot insert it soon enough to boot
with option key

Better to use the CD in a PC

*I recommend a VirtualBox Install for a Mac
VirtualBox:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html

*Here is a complete listing of available appliances (Just import the 2
files; after downloading them)
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#All_Prebuilt_VirtualBox_Appliances
> 3) Would it be better to put it onto a DVD since the price is so
> similar these days?
It does not matter the file size is much smaller than a CD. But older
PC's may not handle a DVD

> 4) What type of CD or DVD works best on a wide variety of intel
> computers (PC and Mac)? (Brand, R, RW or ???)
>
> 5) Can the Live CD be easily cloned with a DVD Rewriter?  (I will
> probably want to make at least 100 copies)

Use the CD/DVD burner on your machine. It will duplicate one at a time.
see section above: Burning a Live CD from an .iso on a MAC
I have no experience in DVD rewriters....
> 6) What other things I haven't thought of should I know?
>
> 7) Anyone want to stand by to give advice if I get stuck? (Skype call
> or irc if you must... I do not type well)

Glad to help by e-mail; cell phone or IRC #sugar.

Regards

Tom Gilliard