[IAEP] Riots in La Paz: Bolivians don't want Classmates, no no no!

Yamaplos . yamaplos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 11:05:52 EDT 2011

Because they do not like the Intel Classmate computers the City
Government of La Paz gave them, on Tuesday Sept 27 the La Paz union of
parents of schoolchildren blockaded the main highway between La Paz
and El Alto, with one woman injured due to the tires being burned.

 "they are made in China and designed to last only one year", is said
about these laptops in the linked article, with a  picture of one of
the Classmate units.

http://eldiario.net/noticias/2011/2011_09/nt110928/5_03nal.php

(some of us don't like the Classmates, but to go out and riot because
of that, I believe is a first)
(of course things are a bit more complex, because it mostly has to do
with who got "bought" by Wintel and who didn't get the sweet - no one
in the debate, on either side, cares much about deeper issues of
reliability, relevance, responsibility - I've met personally the
people in the City Government, and can vouch of this, alas)
(the mention of China as country of origin proves how much knowledge
is owned - at my last meeting there what seemed to be the biggest
argument against the XO by the BO Ministry of Education was that in
Rwanda they are used as home lights by people who have no electricity
at home - why that is an argument against, really  beats me)