[IAEP] Conditions for the usage of XO logo?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 09:28:50 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Cristian Paul Peñaranda Rojas
<paul at kristianpaul.org> wrote:
>> You may want to ask on the olpc list. Also, what is relevance of the
>> Firefox reference?
>
> I understand that because firefox logo is trademark, so, and example of what
> have to be done if you uses software in wich that kind logos is embeded.

Iceweasel was a rebranding of Firefox in response to a specific issue
Mozilla had with Debian regarding "unapproved" patches. By bringing it
up as the lead-in to his question, I can only assume that Sebastian is
suggesting that there is some looming issue regarding the use of an
OLPC trademark that would violate one or more of the OLPC guidelines.
I was perhaps not direct enough in asking what is that issue.

When we have something concrete with which to work, the community can
take action. For example, when it was pointed out by Ruben that the
Scratch license was not a FOSS license, we removed it from ASLO. (Note
that the issue with Scratch was only tangentially related to the use
of their trademark artwork.) We also have been working with MIT to
address the issue so that hopefully we can some day have a FOSS
Scratch.

> In the case of firefox branded web-browswer some gnu/linux distros ended both doing an
> agreement for the logo use with mozilla or rebrading the software name (including new logo
> design of course).
>
> In the case of the XO logo, is more interesting because it is used in Sugar
> and also in the XO-* laptop case.

FYI, I last asked OLPC about the XO logo back in 2009. At the time,
they asked that the SFC provide some guidance on the topic. I asked
the SFC and have yet to hear back from their legal counsel. I believe
that the status quo is that we are not free to use the XO graphic in
our marketing materials without permission from OLPC.

> So, sebastian keep us posted ! :)

regards.

-walter

--