[IAEP] Any olpc/Sugar/ICT4E people in Spain?

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:36:22 EDT 2011

While working at guadalinex I seriously pushed to include sugar.  Resistance
was futile as the Borg might say. You see they have a pretty established
Linux environment that has many custom educational tools.  It is an
extremely uphill battle to get them using even a tiny part of sugar,  and
that coming from an ex-INSIDER.  so good luck.

Regards
David

On Mar 21, 2011 4:46 PM, "Juan Rafael Fernández García" <jrfern at gmail.com>
wrote:

2011/3/21 Christoph Derndorfer <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at>:

> Especially given how much Linux is used around
> schools in the country and that Latin America is...
I'm also surprised that I've seen a bigger OLPC/Sugar community in
France than in Spain. I have an explanation, though: PCs with some GNU
Linux educational distro are deployed all around Spain, taken care of
by the regional authorities, which makes the situation different from
the French one (individual or local initiatives) or the Central/South
American one (OLPC or similar hardware).

Consider the case in Andalusia. All the computers, the thousands of
them, are administered and updated remotely - so the operating system
has to be the same all around, the network configuration and services,
etc. From the Spanish point of view, Sugar running on GNU LInux, as an
environment like Squeak, would be more interesting than as an
alternative independent approach.

IMHO.

--
Juan Rafael Fernández