[IAEP] [fonc] English language literacy software?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 08:56:36 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Michael FIG <michael at fig.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is tangentially related to the broad ideas of computer and
>> mathematics literacy that Alan has, and so I would like to ask the list
>> for your opinions and advice.  (If you have things to share that are not
>> related to computing, please reply to me privately.)
>>
>> My wife, Susana, works at an agency that helps immigrant families from
>> all over the world settle in Canada.  They are currently looking for
>> software or online resources to help improve literacy for youth (and
>> possibly younger children), sometimes teaching EAL (English as an
>> Additional Language) from square one.
>>
>> Susana and I saw some connection with VPRI, as at least some of the
>> children have little past exposure to computers, and that literacy is
>> not about a specific language, but about solidifying new knowledge with
>> experimentation and creative expression.  I've admired Kim's handbook
>> that guides math learners through Squeak-based experiments.  Is there an
>> approach embracing this model (computer as an empty world for performing
>> experiments, not as a multiple-choice quiz automator) with exercises
>> involving language?
>>
>> To give some political context, the conventional advice currently on the
>> table is to license Rosetta Stone for children.  Do you see better
>> alternatives?  Does this belong in the scope of FONC?

FWIW, I am working with a Canadian foundation on some 'learn to read'
activities. These would work in any language, but we are focusing on
English and Spanish to begin with. This is very different from Rosetta
Stone... at a basic level of phonics and decoding, but may be of some
use. I'll keep you in the loop.

-walter

>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Michael FIG <michael at fig.org> //\
>>   http://michael.fig.org/    \//

> Forwarding this to 'It's an Education Project', Sugar Labs general mailing
> list, as this topic naturally arises among this community.
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki
>
> There are also some interesting links in the OLPC, One Laptop per Child,
> wiki, such as,
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Language_Learning
>
>         --Fred

Walter Bender