[IAEP] [fonc] English language literacy software?

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 01:02:38 EDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Michael FIG <michael at fig.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is tangentially related to the broad ideas of computer and
> mathematics literacy that Alan has, and so I would like to ask the list
> for your opinions and advice.  (If you have things to share that are not
> related to computing, please reply to me privately.)
>
> My wife, Susana, works at an agency that helps immigrant families from
> all over the world settle in Canada.  They are currently looking for
> software or online resources to help improve literacy for youth (and
> possibly younger children), sometimes teaching EAL (English as an
> Additional Language) from square one.
>
> Susana and I saw some connection with VPRI, as at least some of the
> children have little past exposure to computers, and that literacy is
> not about a specific language, but about solidifying new knowledge with
> experimentation and creative expression.  I've admired Kim's handbook
> that guides math learners through Squeak-based experiments.  Is there an
> approach embracing this model (computer as an empty world for performing
> experiments, not as a multiple-choice quiz automator) with exercises
> involving language?
>
> To give some political context, the conventional advice currently on the
> table is to license Rosetta Stone for children.  Do you see better
> alternatives?  Does this belong in the scope of FONC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Michael FIG <michael at fig.org> //\
>   http://michael.fig.org/    \//

Forwarding this to 'It's an Education Project', Sugar Labs general mailing
list, as this topic naturally arises among this community.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki

There are also some interesting links in the OLPC, One Laptop per Child,
wiki, such as,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Language_Learning

        --Fred