[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] A question about adult education in Uruguay

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 02:30:39 EDT 2011

BTW, The UTU (Universidad del Trabajo del Uruguay) (Labor University of
Uruguay) provides vocational training in many fields. It usually has a
branch in most cities, classes are free, requirements for its faculty
are lower than for teaching High School, and while open to all ages,
younger kids tend to be the ones that didn't do too well when trying
High School.  Some of the most dedicated and courageous teachers I have
ever come across I have met there.

I graduated as a Chef in '96. The certificate took many months to arrive
- I am unsure I ever got it, actually.  When complaining about the
delay, I was reminded by the clerk that it was a University, and thus I
should expect it normal to take a long time to get anything done...

Many schools and high schools have a shift for adults, usually in the
late evening.

For those who didn't know, our schools operate in shifts, usually at
least two, often a third one in the day. In many schools that means
there are officially two (or three) different "schools", each one with
its own principal, name, flag, etc. and you often never get to meet the
people that use your same space the rest of the day. The main highschool
I used to work at had the youngest students (7th-8th grades) in the
morning, the next two grades in the afternoons, and the moustachoed ones
in the evening. They also assigned students by alpha, thus I had a class
where all but 7 were named Garcia.

Try to teach French to 35 14-year olds, who had lunch right before
coming to school, and then PE, and now have to conjugate avoir à
l'imparfait! (I was blessed in that my mom helped me realize it was not
their fault, bless their souls)

also think about the size of those chairs, and ergonomics. OTOH, we had
real Louvre-made reproductions of the good stuff.  Somewhere I still
have a crayon-rubbing of the Rosetta stone!