[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] A question about adult education in Uruguay

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 02:03:26 EDT 2011

Uruguay used to have a quite solid program of extension courses, with no
age limit, directed mostly toward people in the countryside who were not
able to continue schooling beyond 6th grade(until 20 years ago 7th grade
and higher required you to up and go to a city).

However, extremely few people benefited from this, on the principle
that, if you wanted learning, you went to the city (and then to
Montevideo if you made it beyond 12th grade, likely for good - what use
would be your degree back at home?), otherwise you stayed put and tended
the chickens. Programa de educacion Post Escolar a Distancia it was
called. Mostly oriented toward the needs of pastoral people: cooking,
animal husbandry, weaving...

It was not bad at all, actually if you google my name and "canning" you
will see an Arequita graduate from that program showing off his
training, all the way to Austin, Texas!

Absolutely no idea what its status is right now, I will ask Sur.

Public libraries in the US have no parallel over there.  We do have some
public libraries, mostly in the larger cities, and some libraries in
High Schools, but seldom are you allowed to go browse the books, you
have to ask for them in writing at a counter, after perusing the card
catalog, with bureaucracy marginally less than that of the Library of
Congress. Some books might be borrowed, but the collection tends to be
extremely limited and very aged, to the point that private lending
libraries cover some of the gap, for those who can afford the fees. Like
for example the former USAID one, that was free until 1994, with open
access shelves - a mandatory stop for me every time I went to Montevideo.

Quite unlikely computers be available, and if so, even less that they
will be networked to anything - if there are any they might have a
digital catalog of the books and maybe some encyclopaedia, probably pirated.

Yes, the opportunity is there.

I see more opportunities in SD cards with content in HTML.  The Journal
quirks are a big limitation, of course, maybe under the Gnome environment?

Yama