[IAEP] ... then stop making Sugar for schools and give it to likeminded parents

nanonano at mediagala.com nanonano at mediagala.com
Fri Jun 17 11:14:10 EDT 2011

/>Nicholas Doiron wrote:
 >Plan Ceibal is becoming more and more open to different platforms,
including (less innovative) Intel Classmates and Kindles.
--------------------------------------------------------------/

That is another big issue here in Uruguay: Plan Ceibal is not married
with Sugar. If the teachers find Sugar "too different..."  it doesn't
matter if Sugar is the best of the world.... You can not go against the
teachers.

Like Nicholas said, You can argue that Sugar is the best of the best of
the best, but if the users says another thing, you can not simply  say
"the people are wrong", even if they are wrong.

In Uruguay In the department of Canelones (500,000 inhabitants) the Plan
Ceibal is giving ClassMAtes II
<http://rapceibal.ning.com/forum/topics/laptops-para-educacion-media?xg_source=activity>
(called "Magalhães MG2", made in Portugal) to the children of the normal
High schools and technical high-school****s, And they are giving Olidata
JUmPC <http://www.olidata.cl/index.php/netbook_web/show/id/10> to all
the teachers in primary school. They changed the XO-1 by the Olidata,
but only for the teachers.

The classmates comes with Linux Metasys, *with no Sugar.* And the
Olidata COmes with a SoaS Version of Sugar.

-------------------

*_My Point is_* _that Sugar HAS to approach the needs of the people,
even if those needs are "wrong", or silly._

It's difficult to change the mind of the humans, if you change a little
at a time, you can make a big change.
But If I pretend a big change in a few years.. maybe the rope could breaks.

----------------------------

An Example:

Suppose that  the the "journal" is the best: Ok, I Agree, but I can not
impose to the people that system in sow few years of change.

Maybe I have to put the Journal, but something else that is similar to
the other "wrong system" (the folders, for example), so the people
accept the Journal. And maybe in a few Years you can  eliminate those
"wrong systems"

Paolo Benini
Montevideo

/>Nicholas Doiron wrote:

 > Caryl, Mikus et al:
 >
 > These attitudes toward Sugar should not surprise us, especially
anyone who has worked with XOs in Uruguay or the USA. When teachers find
Linux programs such as TuxPaint, they cannot interact with the Journal
and cannot save at all on Uruguay's unrooted Sugar.  This was one thing
we heard loud and clear from Flor de Ceibo and other volunteers.

 > Plan Ceibal is becoming more and more open to different platforms,
including (less innovative) Intel Classmates and Kindles. For Sugar and
OLPC to continue our education ideals and open technology in South
America, we need to meet 'realness' needs, too.  When the majority of
classes are using the Browse activity (did we hear something like 70-80%
? ) it sounds like it would be wise to discuss ChromeOS and
browser-based applications, possibly using a modern browser such a Webkit.

 > The more we identify Sugar as an entirely different way of schooling
and technology, the harder it gets to incorporate it in conventional
schools, using the programs that teachers want to use.  If your response
is, "but teachers don't understand real education!!! " then stop making

/