[IAEP] Proposed New K-12 Science Framework

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 20:23:33 EDT 2011

Hi All...

Hey, Jameson, how exciting it must have been to watch this document take form!  I am looking forward to examining it in detail over the next couple of weeks.  For now, I have a few comments on the introductory sections. They are listed below.
It sounds like OLPC and Sugar are ideally positioned to play an important role in implementing these ideas.  My first thought is how perfect it would be to get deployments of the XO-1.5 HS model in middle school science classrooms all over the US.  I would have loved such a tool in my science classroom.   This is a place where we could target Activities and accompanying lesson plan suggestions to make it easy for teachers to use them.  It is too bad that sensors don't work with SoaS.  Any ideas there?

Now I am going to skip over to Chapter 10 where the nitty-gritty stuff seems to be.  I'm talking about things like teacher training and student assessment.  I hope they addressed the inadequacy of the "standardized" multiple choice test where students regurgitate memorized facts which they will promptly forget. We shall see!

Caryl

P.S. I used to have this quote on a sign above my chalkboard (yeah, I know, old technology).

..."I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." possibly by Confucius ca 500BC

First Thoughts and Observations on the new Science Framework

Committee:  A nice mix of scientists and educators, although most of the educators are from the university level.

Partners: The National Science Teacher's Association will work to develop standards based on the framework for proposed adoption by states.

The Academies: want to stimulate more interest in and understanding of science in students to build the skills they will need, in addition to math and language arts.

Executive Summary:  focus on a limited number of core ideas... we used to refer to these as "threads."

The Three Dimensions: So glad to see that Ecosystems are still there (LS 2 and implied in ESS 3 and, even ETS 2) it sometimes gets lost in the focus on molecular biology (eg AP Bio).
And, of course, there is the usual "elephant in the room," LS 4: Biological Evolution. That can be a sticking point in some states when they develop their standards.