[IAEP] Proposed New K-12 Science Framework

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 18:01:23 EDT 2011

Actually, my mother chaired that committee. I have been reading drafts of
this for the past couple of years, and of course I'm biased, but I think
that it is an important document, not just for those who are concerned with
US education, but for anyone interested in science education in general.
None of the ideas there are fundamentally new or revolutionary, but it
integrates the best practices in science education better than anything else
so far. (Of course, if a year from now, some other national or regional body
from somewhere else takes these ideas a step further, all the better.)

So, as to the specifics. Forster already commented on some aspects of
dimension 1. But I think he missed that also among the dimension 1 practices
are argumentation and bibliographic research. That is to say, that
model-building and data-gathering activities should be sharable and
self-documenting, to support integrating these practices.

Jameson Quinn