[IAEP] Please review E-Book Enlightenment

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 11:43:57 EDT 2011

Maria,

Thanks for your kind review.  One thing you suggested was comparing Google
Docs and Booki as collaboration software.  I think Google Docs is pretty
good for collaboration, probably as good as Booki.  Where Booki is better
than Google Docs is when it comes to *publishing* the work.  Booki has a
tool called OBJAVI that produces output in a variety of pages sizes,
including those used by Lulu.com for print on demand.  This makes it easier
to format a book for printing.  It also produces Web Format PDF (with a
table of contents pane) and EPUBs, and finally you can get a static website
out of it.  That's the real genius of it.  So while Google Docs will help
you collaborate on a manuscript, Booki goes that extra mile and helps you
get it published at the push of a button.  Think of all the work you'd go
through in turning your Google Docs MS into a website, an EPUB, or a PDF
ready for Lulu and imagine that your methodology required you to do that
every week or so.

I wrote a book on my personal Booki and wanted to have some people review
it.  I distributed PDFs.  One reviewer said she had trouble reading a book
on the computer screen but she did have a Kindle.  I emailed her a Kindle
version a few minutes later.

Booki is still rough around the edges, but I would not hesitate to recommend
it.

James Simmons