[IAEP] Fwd: [Math 2.0] 2 billion in grants just announced (community colleges)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 09:36:12 EST 2011

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Maria Droujkova <droujkova at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 17:15
Subject: [Math 2.0] 2 billion in grants just announced (community colleges)
To: mathfuture at googlegroups.com

Today Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis and Secretary of Education
Arne Duncan announced the solicitation for grant applications under
the Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training
Grant Program (TAACCCT). Over the course of 4 years, the program will
invest $2 billion “to provide community colleges and other eligible
institutions of higher education with funds to expand and improve
their ability to deliver education and career training programs.” The
program supports President Obama’s goal of having the highest
proportion of college graduates in the world by 2020 by helping to
increase the number of workers who attain degrees, certificates and
other industry recognized credentials. The first round of funding will
be $500 million over the next year. Applications to the solicitation
are now open, and will be due April 21, 2011.

The full program announcement (PDF) requires that resources created
using grant funds be released under the Creative Commons Attribution
(CC BY) license:

In order to further the goal of career training and education and
encourage innovation in the development of new learning materials, as
a condition of the receipt of a Trade Adjustment Assistance Community
College and Career Training Grant (“Grant”), the Grantee will be
required to license to the public (not including the Federal
Government) all work created with the support of the grant (“Work”)
under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License (“License”). This
License allows subsequent users to copy, distribute, transmit and
adapt the copyrighted work and requires such users to attribute the
work in the manner specified by the Grantee. Notice of the License
shall be affixed to the Work. For more information on this License,
please visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/