[IAEP] [support-gang] When teaching restrains discovery

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 05:03:46 EST 2011

I do not know if anyone did read the actual scientific paper in the journal "Cognition" that initiated this discussion (needs subscription) but it basically provides quantitative  evidence that:

a) preschoolers, if they are formally taught  only one function, also assume this as _evidence_  that other functions are missing(!) and
b) that the "instructions" can be direct (to them) or indirect (to other kids) but are _ignored_ if they are towards adults ( a very interesting point, I think).

What is also  interesting is that the data indicate that kids "instructed" of one function but _not_ as if this was the only one, did equally well (actually slightly better) in discovering other functions as(/than) the kids that they were not instructed at all!

So the paper has really more to do with the style of the instructional teaching than instructional versus explorative.
At least as far as the preschooler cognitive process is concern.