[IAEP] S. CAlif Linux Expo/Recap Call--plz join in 30MIN! (a community-mapping model)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Feb 28 21:34:28 EST 2011

Original Invite Here..
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2011-February/012645.html
(Caryl's on-the-ground-preview below's better :)

Subject:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
From:
Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:35:22 -0800

To:
Raj Baberwal <raj_baberwal at yahoo.com>, Cherry Withers
<cherry.withers at gmail.com>, Danny Hembree <danny-hembree at dynamical.org>,
Perin Lal <perin at computerwisekids.com>, "Christian Bryant"
<christianabryant at linux.com>, Maung Nyeu <mnyeu at yahoo.com>, Christina
Vargas <vargaschristi at gmail.com>, Erica Drew
<erica.drew at pepperdine.edu>, Andrew MacNamera <apm01 at umail.ucsb.edu>,
Hannah Anderson <hsanderson707 at gmail.com>, <gdunit91 at gmail.com>, Ed
Bigenho <edbigenho at hotmail.com>
CC:
Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org>, OLPC SoCal <olpc-socal at laptop.org>

Thank you to all you wonderful OLPC/SugarLabs booth volunteers.  Thanks
to all of you who gave of your time to help tell the OLPC and Sugar
stories at SCaLE 9x.

In all there were 12 of you... but not all at the same time!  We
wouldn't have all fitted into the booth!  Each of you brought enthusiasm
and talent to the effort and, you are greatly appreciated!

Cherry Withers... from the Bay Area, gave up a day at Disneyland with
her family to wow us all with a microscope interfaced with an XO!

Anne Emerson, Greg Dreshler, and Hannah Anderson came down from Santa
Barbara and even helped with the presentation about volunteering and the
OLPC Contributors Program.

Danny Hembree did double duty and helped out on both Saturday and
Sunday!  He was great explaining about Sugar and the XOs to people
stopping by.

Perin Lai, Maung Nyeu and Christina Vargas all gave welcome help on
Saturday afternoon that allowed Cherry and I to take in Bert
Fruedenberg's Etoys/Squeek talk in the OSSIE track.  I wish I had had
more time to chat with Perin, but Maung and Christina were able to stay
for the evening "festivities" so we got a chance to talk about ideas for
our OLPC-SoCal community.

Sunday Danny Hembree was joined by Christian Bryant from UCLA, Erica
Drew from Pepperdine and Steve Costeneau to help with the Sunday
visitors, including the winners of the 2 XO raffle-prizes. Some of us
took part in a mini-podcast about OLPC for a piece about SCaLE 9X that
someone was doing.

All of you did  a great job helping with the many visitors we had at the
booth.  Some of you were relative newcomers, but quickly learned a lot
about Sugar and OLPC.  Some of you supplied a lot of great technical
knowledge that  was definitely way beyond my expertise. I especially
enjoyed talking with you and learning about all of your hopes and dreams
for your own favorite project with Sugar and OLPC.

Now, If you have been counting... that is only 11 volunteers.  The
twelfth is, of course, my great husband Ed Bigenho who is slowly but
surely becoming an expert on the XO, OLPC, and Suger... even though he
would never admit it!  He claims to be a "computer dinosaur"  I think
you will all agree that he is much more tech-saavy than he will admit!
He deserves extra thanks for working all of the shifts and keeping me on
schedule and on track.

I would like to be sure all of you know about the special "Mapping"
conference call that Adam has scheduled especially for Southern
California OLPC and Sugar enthusiasts at 7 pm tomorrow (Monday) evening.
The toll-free number is

+1 866 213-2185 and

   the Access Code is 1671650#

If you would like to also follow along on IRC where you can share links
and things like that go to http://forum.laptop.org/chat
                           (that's #olpc-help on irc.freenode.net)

If you are an "old" subscriber to the olpc-SoCal mailing list, you will
probably get a message from Adam about this.  I haven't had time to put
in all the new names yet, so for those of you who just signed up this
weekend this will be new information.

Thanks again everyone!  We will talk soon (maybe tomorrow).

Caryl

P.S. Christian Bryant has set up a group blog for us on identi.ca here
is the link:

http://identi.ca/group/olpcsocal

(And I wondered why he kept doing things on his phone while working in
the booth!)

Christina Vargas will also be putting up a special page for us on
facebook.  I talked to the facebook reps in their booth and they have
offered to give us a special url for our page.  Let's see if they
remember??? They have my card...