[IAEP] For Sugar Everywhere, Google-ize!

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Feb 17 11:35:44 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Nicholas Doiron <ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu>wrote:

> This is a tremendously interesting but increasingly technical discussion.
> It's difficult to weigh pros and cons of an entire OS in an e-mail
> discussion.

I'd actually like to avoid the technical parts as much as possible (although
I often can't help but respond).

What I'm most interested in are the community aspects:

a) What is the vision for Sugar going forward?  What types of devices?  What
types of users?
b) How much energy/tolerance do people in the community have for "new
things"?
c) If a group goes off and tries something new, will it result in a painful
split in the community?
d) Is SugarLabs closely tied to the idea of "sugar as it is now", or do they
see themselves as part of a wide variety of sugar-like projects, with
more-or-less use of the legacy code?
e) What are the *essential* goals of Sugar/SugarLabs?  (cjb made a good
start here!)
f) What does SugarLabs see as their most valuable products?  Activities?
 SoaS-type whole systems?  Community?  Lesson plans?  Pedagogy?  Support?

Obviously, every reader is going to have slightly different answers to those
questions, but through the multitude of voices a sense of the community
spirit can be gleaned.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )