[IAEP] Need to find usb Microscope under $50 for XO

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Thu Feb 10 15:49:41 EST 2011

Caryl,

Intel sold the microscope to Digital Blue:
http://store.digiblue.com/Digital_Blue_s/27.htm

http://store.digiblue.com/QX5_Computer_Microscope_for_PC_p/db12013.htm

But I don't think they are actually manufacturing them. I worked on a
project to make an educational website that went with the microscope but I
think they had quality problems with manufacturing and a business
opportunity with disney and the microscope just wasn't a priority for the
company.

The microscope used a propriety driver and software. Even if you get one off
of ebay I am doubtful you can get it work on Linux.  I don't think they ever
got it working on a mac.

Cheers,
Caroline

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi All...
>
> Has anyone tried an "Intel Play QX3 Digital Computer Mocroscope like this
> one on an XO?
>
> http://bit.ly/eu1iPh
>
> It is mentioned in this very old link:
>
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2006-October/000158.html
>
> It is no longer manufactured, but there are some available at ebay (as
> shown above).
>
> I would really like to get some kind of usb microscope that could be used
> with the XO to have at SCaLE 9X at the end of this month and to explore
> features for the water/health lessons some of us are working on for Haiti.
>
> Cherry Withers has ordered a microscope, but it is currently backordered
> and probably won't arrive in time for SCaLE.
>
> Has anyone else used one with an XO?  If so, what kind?  Where is it
> available?  Is it plug-n-play or do you need to install software? Anything
> else I should know?
>
> I really don't want to use one that relies on the XO computer camera to
> function.
>
> Thanks,
> Caryl

Caroline Meeks