[IAEP] Tools for the community 2nd meeting. Today at 9PM UTC on #sugar-meeting.

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:04:25 EST 2011

Hi Pablo,

On 2 Feb 2011, at 16:12, Pablo Flores wrote:

> Join today at 9PM UTC (4PM EST) our second meeting for discussing tools for the community, on #sugar-meeting.
>
> Today I'd like to focus on the idea of making a portal for sharing info. Let's think of an enhanced planet, which aggregates blogs and microblogging posts, and helps users to broadcast and tag interesting information.
>
> I propose to discuss according to the sources of information that could be integrated to the portal:
> 1. Aggregate feeds from blogs, websites, wikis & aslo.
> 2. Show what's happening in mailing lists, highlight important discussions
> 3. Broadcast some info of what happens on IRC channels
> 4. Integrate social networks (identi.ca/twitter, facebook, uhloh, ...) info.
> 5. Integrate OLPCmap info
>
> It would also be great to integrate info from "coding environments", like git commits and trac submits, but for timing reasons I'd prefer to discuss it in another moment.
>
> Don't be shy and come in with your ideas and opinions!! :)

After mentioning it to you on IRC, I've generated a self-organising map for the olpc-Sur mail list for the month of December (152 emails). Does it help much as a high level overview of what conversations were going on?

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Olpc-sur-2010-december-som.jpg

My code could do with some more polish with regard to dealing with Spanish language text (better accent support, a word stemmer for Spanish rather than English – a larger kill list for Spanish prepositions, determiners, conjunctions, pronouns, adverbs – but it seemed to give a reasonable quality map as is.

Regards,
--Gary