[IAEP] Persistant SoaS on Mac Persists!

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sun Dec 11 18:49:43 EST 2011

On 12/11/2011 02:53 PM, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi Tom and All,
>

> After puzzling over the instructions for a while, I decided to just put the SoaS for Mac that Tom sent in, and try to boot from it.  It works!

Wonderful. : )
Great News

Tom Gilliard
satellit_ on #sugar on IRC

Here is how It is made;
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Fedora-SoaS#MacBook_Persistent_SoaS_v5_and_SoaS_v6_EFI_Boot_USB

It is also available as a dd .img file
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Fedora-SoaS#dd_writable_1_GB_EFI_Boot_.28MAC.29_USB_Soas-v5-Coconut-USB_.img
> I am running it on my 3+year old MacBook with the old os10.5.8 (Leopard) in its most up to date version. You are right about it not running on a Power PC (just had to try... that is how we found out that eToys to go does work on it).  The Power PC didn't even recognize it.
>

> Here are a few notes from the exploring I did:
>

> *Persistent storage worked fine!
>

> *Record worked fine for voice recordings. Would have liked a shorter time as an option.  I assume there are no photos or videos possible at this time?
>

> *Memorize seems to be working and is persistent over several removals and restarts with no problems.
>

> *Difficult to get the "frame" to appear. Takes repeated swipes into the upper RH corner to get it to work.

Try adjusting the bottom slider in "frame" on My settings fully left.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit/sck/Introduction_to_Sugar_Interface
> *Clock Activity flashed an image for a fraction of a second, but could not get it to work.
>

> *Totally unable to connect to the internet.  I see the 3 ad hoc networks but my router doesn't show up at all. No problem connecting under the Mac os or on my iPod so it has to be a problem with SoaS.  Would an ethernet cable to my modem/router solve this? I also removed my password so connection would be easier. I trust my neighbors?

It should work with a wired cat5 connection. I have not been able to get
Wireless on a MAC to go either.

A VitualBox Appliance will also work on a MAC
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#v6_Pineapple_2
Download 2 files and "import" them into VirtualBox for OSX
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html)
It is GPL...
> If I were able to connect under SoaS, could I download other Activities to add them to the SoaS stick?  I would really like to include the Labyrinth Activity which is so popular in Latin America and I think would be a "winner" anywhere!

1-)down load Labyrinth.xo from ASLO
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/
with the Mac browser and transfer it to a 2nd USB
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit/sck/Drag-Drop

2-)download
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#ASLOxo-6 (it is 2.2 GB)
http://download.sugarlabs.org/images/ASLOxo6.2-Contents.txt (to see the
contents of the DVD)
burn to a DVD and use it to drag-drop install  Labyrinth directly
(The DVD/CD will appear in the frame) when you load it with the EFI
USB-stick booted.

but with a cat-5 wired connection; the Internet should work fine.
> I haven't been able to get the PC SoaS version working yet because of problems with my eeePC. It hasn't worked right since I removed MS Office earlier this year.  I will call Asus tomorrow and see if I can get it working again.
>

> I'll be exploring more in the next few days and report on anything else I find.
>

> Caryl

Have fun. Good luck with your presentation.