[IAEP] Flash - Sugar - HTML5 and Circle-The-Cat

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sun Dec 11 07:49:57 EST 2011

2011/12/9 Carlos Rabassa <carnen at mac.com>:
> I asked,  how would you write an application to allow any user to use it by
> clicking on a link?  And I gave him a link to the example of the cat.
>
> HTML5 was the answer.
>
> Then I asked,  what about Flash?
>
> The answer was that it can be used but is not what he would recommend to use
> today because Flash,  after having been great,  is now on the way out.
>
> Flash is owned by Adobe and there are rumors they will not support it any
> longer.  Adobe came up with Adobe Air.   Most new applications are required
> to work with smart phones and tablets;  this is the big force pushing Flash
> out and HTML5 in.
>
> He said "free" when referring to HTML5.  I don´t know if he meant it
> qualifies as free software.

HTML5 is a set of free and open standards. Yes, you can safely build
free software applications using HTML5.

I have long been arguing that we should be using HTML5 more in Sugar,
and even funded some development towards making it happen [1]. Sugar
Labs are working to make this possible [2].

Sridhar

[1] https://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/742
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/WebKit

Sridhar Dhanapalan