[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2011-12-01

Rubén Rodríguez ruben at gnu.org
Mon Dec 5 16:58:50 EST 2011

> > Please do *not* start making Flash based activities!
> I can, and if I want, I make some of them!Pure games or educationals
> games.. all...

Of course. I was not referring to individuals but to SugarLabs.

ASLO's policies already require activities to be free software, and
from my point of view, an activity which requires you to use non-free
software to be modified, does not qualify.

> > Flash is non-free software, and even if the activities worked on a
> > free player like Gnash, allowing them would encourage authors to use
> > proprietary flash tools to make the activities.
>
> If flash is "bad", for what exist gnash ??

So users can access content that already has the problem of being
made with flash. What I think we don't need is to encourage making more,
and sure not activities themselves.

> If flash is too bad, remove gnash from the image of Sugar!!!

Gnash is not part of Sugar, I don't think it's inclusion with Sugar
based distros is for SugarLabs to decide. We are talking about
activities here.

> Activities in Flash there are another tool to develop educational
> software...And like any tool, it generates its new possibilities, and
> its drawbacks (non-free software)

AFAIK being non-free is, under the current Sugar policies, a deal
breaker drawback.