[IAEP] Teachers ask programmers / Maestros preguntan a Programadores

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Thu Dec 1 18:52:09 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 05:55 -0200, Carlos Rabassa wrote:

> This could open the competition to write applications to every
> programmer in the world who has the required knowledge.
>

> Teachers with ideas for good educational applications could write them
> themselves or find a programmer willing to do it.  The teacher could
> select the programmer without restricting the choice to those willing
> to work as unpaid volunteers under the rules of SugarLabs.

How can Sugar address this point and its misapprehension that Sugar
looks like a closed shop? It was good to see a reply from Bert
Freudenberg, that paid contributors are welcome.

It would be good to hear it shouted loud that (for example) if a school
were to commission someone to produce work suitable for the Sugar
Activity Library, both the school and the writer would be credited.

Carlos writes eloquently and with nice metaphor about the world in which
he works.

I think part of the content of his message tries to address the lack of
response to his earlier message, Subject - Where may developers meet
educators?

As a generous community Sugar does well at harnessing individuals who
can do some of their best work alone at 3am. How does Sugar go about
giving support to service users?

One small idea, could Sugar provide teachers with an area to upload and
share lesson plans? This is a major chore, and in a subject anywhere
near the edge of ones experience, harder still. When a lesson plan has
been copied from elsewhere, it does not mean the children will hear it
twice!

To Carlos I would say ask again:
Where may developers meet educators?

The education of an individual is a massive undertaking, it is built
with small blocks, like the cat which I too enjoyed, and with other
blocks with which it is sometimes difficult to work.

Iain Brown Douglas
Parent and Grandparent.