[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] New activity from OLPC France

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Sat Apr 23 12:29:44 EDT 2011

On Mon, April 18, 2011 10:22 am, Dr. Gerald Ardito wrote:
> Walter,
>
> The type of lab notebook activity you describe could be extended beyond
> the
> cooking area. I can see students using this for all kinds of scientific
> investigations.

I have proposed this approach to learning the XO and Sugar, in

http://booki.treehouse.su/discovering-discovery/

It is necessary to explain, or at least give hints, on those topics
catalogued at

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable

but for everything else, we could teach a great deal about discovery by
letting the children find out about their learning tools themselves.

Discovery: Preparation

Before you begin, get a notebook or create a file on another computer to
make notes on your progress, your discoveries, and your questions.

If you haven't done this kind of exploration before, it will feel quite
odd. There are sound reasons for this feeling, so don't worry about it,
but do take note of it. In fact, take note of how you feel at every stage.
Are you uncomfortable? Distressed, even? Make a note of such feelings, and
press on. Are you getting excited and happy? Good. Make a note of that,
too. You can compare notes with others later on, if you like. Is your
brain turning to goop, and nothing makes any sense?

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/07/07/funny-pictures-i-have-the-dumb/

Take a break. Don't push yourself. You are trying to unlearn bad habits
from school, and you have to allow your brain time to process the changes.